Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Venice Beach Pavilion

A contrast to the Italian influenced detail I showed yesterday. In the mid 1900's ultra modern architecture was all the rage and the plans for northern Italian style buildings where largely ignored here in Venice.

I wish that the style originally planned for Venice had been carried through better as some of the modern condo buildings are just ugly, but some exceptions and contrasts are nice and this is one I really like. There is also no guarantee that if other buildings had been built in a different style that they would be better, there is bad design in all styles.

The Venice beach pavilion here is a great example of the local "Sarasota School" style. It was designed by renowned architect: Cyril T. Tucker and built in 1964.

The pavilion features a hyperbolic paraboloid roof soring over two low buildings of coral stone and a large open air area with tables for eating ice cream from the pavilion shop or playing chess, etc.

3 comments:

  1. Actually I believe the "new" pavillion was built in 1960 or 61...Tucker was the designer, Guy Curwood the builder. I know it was in place when my family left Venice in late 1962.

    Great Site...brings back plenty of memories of my Old Venice...lived there from 1953-1962.

    PRH
    Celina, Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. I moved to Venice from Huntsville, Alabama in 1984. Venice was a "quaint" town then and still is. I hope the city continues to control high rise developments on the island; those that destroy an area. Keep Venice just as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just spent nine wonderful days in Venice. There is entertainment most nights in the pavilion. We loved Venice Beach and the beauty of Venice Avenue.

    ReplyDelete